Rosehip Jelly (fixed)
Stored: 11 x 125mL + one that didn't seal in the fridge
What I did:
- Opened all the jars of the Rosehip Jelly into the stock pot
- Added 1.5 tsp citric acid and cooked it a bit but it wasn't thickening up
- Grabbed a pkt of pectin and read the instruction booklet
- Boiled the pectin in some water in a smaller pot for a minute
- Added the pectin water to the still boiling jelly base
- Another minute or two of boiling and it started thickening
- Jared up and water bathed canned for 5 min
Notes on this batch:
- Lost a little less than a cup of liquid in the reboiling so there was exactly a dozen 1/2 cup jars
- Maybe next time, just use the pkt and don't trust the crab apples to pull the weight. lol
- 2022-11-14 two jars are not sealed anymore. Don’t know why they didn’t stay stuck. Going to keep an eye out.
- 2022-11-17 another jar isn't sealed anymore. It's probably the same reason a bunch of the chilli's didn't seal in the first place. The reuseable lids have different instructions to the disposable ones and I don't think these got tightened down when they came out of the canner.