Yield: One Pie, One 1L jar of pie crust
References: Back of the pie tin and just guessing
What I did:Ingredients:
- Frozen GF pie crusts
- Two jars of Apple bits
- cinnamon, allspice, clove
- Tapioca starch
- Some sugars
- Ascorbic acid
- Cook apple bits with a good dose of cinnamon and a small pinch of the clove and allspice.
- Added tapioca starch to thicken it up.
- Added stuff based on taste. The sugar helped the spices mellow, but the apples were too plain so I added a bit of sour in the form of ascorbic acid and it made everything just pop.
- Followed directions on the box of crusts which involved defrosting one crust and reforming it between two pieces of parchment, as well as slightly defrosting the other.
- Filled the lower crust with filling and topped with the other crust pinching to seal and cut vent holes
- Baked at 375F for an hour
- Cooled on a rack for a few hours
The rest of the filling went into a jar and into the fridge.
Notes on this batch:
- Surprisingly good considering it's deer apples and not proper pie varieties.