Split Pea Soup with Ham
Stored: 4 x 1L, 1 x 500mLReferences: Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving Pg.99 "Habitant Soup" + The Amish Canning Cookbook Pg.199 "Split Pea Soup"
What I did:
- Used the Bernardin proportions and switched out the bay leaf for the allspice from Amish
- Ingredients Used:
- 2 lbs dried split peas(green)
- 4 L broth
- 3 cups carrots(prev.canned, drained)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Boiled dried peas in broth for an hour
- Add carrots, onion, and seasoning cooking for 30 min
- Used food processor to whiz it smooth
- Add ham and reheat so its all hot before jarring up.
- 90min at 10lbs
Notes on this batch:
- Green peas instead of yellow. It looks a bit weird but tastes good.
- One jar siphoned but still sealed.
- 2022-12-26 Tastes GREAT. A bit thicker than I expected so a bit more water could be added