Beans (white pea beans)
Stored: 3 x 500mL
What I did:
- 2 cups/454 g/1 lb of Thompson’s “White pea beans”
- Soaked overnight (12+ hours)
- Set up canning supplies with canner & it’s water slowly warming up on 5.
- Drained & put in potato pot with water to fill & teeniest pinch of baking soda to cancel any well acidity.
- Brought to boil skimming starch from the top.
- Filled jars with hot tap water to warm them.
- When boil reached, boiled beans 2 min.
- Put in warm jars without cooking water. Added boiling water from kettle. Made two full jars. One 2/3 beans but topped with boiling water to 1” headspace.
- Lids and into canner
- Closed canner and turned up to 7 until some steam. Then cranked to full.
- Waited for full steam and set timer for 10 min.
- After 10 min venting , applied weight.
- Waited for pressure to climb. Reduced heat by one at 9lbs,10lbs, 11lbs and 12lbs (now at med)
- Started 75min timer at 11lbs
- it still climbed to 13 and so I turned it down to 3. Then it started to drop with 70 min on the timer.
- Hit 12 lbs at 68 min on timer. Hit 11lbs with 65 min on timer.
- Watching to see if it needs more heat or no.
- Lil more heat and seems to have stabilised at 11lbs on 4 with 61 min on the timer.
- Spent the next hour scrolling and minutely adjusting up and down to keep at 11lbs.
- Timer went off, turned off heat and let it drop naturally. 12:09pm
- Dang it. 12:19pm At 5 lbs now and I can smell bean-ish-ness near the canner. Probably means siphoning but maybe worse. It’s sounded like popcorn in there for a while now and idk if it’s bubbles or a broken jar.
- Hit 0lbs and started 20 min timer at 12:30pm… 3 min later the pressure lock dropped so I reset the 20 min timer.
- When timer done, removed weight and unlocked/gapped lid. Timer for 5 min. (Very bean-y and kinda bad smell now.
- Heard a ping with 1:20 left on timer. Second ping at :40 on timer.
- After timer, removed lid and removed jars to trivet.
- All 3 seem completely fine and popped down. No severe siphoning. (Smell must have been a small amount of siphoning mixed with the dash of vinegar in the canner water.)
- Leaving them to settle for the rest of the day. Currently 1:05pm
Notes on this batch:
- Realizing now I forgot to include salt which may result in softer beans.
- Reduce heat sooner with emptier canner loads.
- Since the full ones seem a little too full, I’m thinking beans to the shoulder and then boiling water to the 1”/neck for next time. This would have made 3 full jars.