Stored: 3 x 500mL Tomato, 3 x 500mL Molasses, 2 x 500mL Blend, 1 x 500mL Blend Sauce
What I did:
- Prepped Jars/Lids/Canner.
- Approx. 960g White Pea Beans sorted and quick soaked
- Made both sauce basesTomato:
- 150 mL Tomato paste
- 100 mL Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Onion, fine chopped
- 3 Cups Bean water
- 1 Cup Onion, fine chopped
- 3 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp Malt Vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 4 Cups Bean water
- Drained beans.
- Refilled pot with fresh water & brought to boil before turning off.
- Drained bean water into a bowl & measured into the sauce bases.
- The tomato sauce in the measuring cup got warmed in the microwave and the molasses sauce in a sauce pot on the stove.
- Each jar got 3/4 full of beans and then sauce poured in for a 1" headspace. (de-bubbled and adjusted)
- Did 3 of each and then blended the sauces to make a third flavour.
- Wiped the rims and placed the lids gently.
- Pressure canned at 11lbs for 65 minutes.
- Depressurised slowly.
- Removed the jars and cranked lids and then waited.
- Four hours later, rings removed. All sealed. :-)
Notes on this batch:
- Referred to HHC and NCHFP
- The beans did 8 jars so the last was just sauce. A full 1kg might have done all 9 jars.
- 2022-11-27 Tomato variety was bland as fuck. We added salt and Worcestershire just to finish eating it.
- The molasses variety had flavour but no body
- The blend was ideal
Post a Comment
Moderated Comments so play nice.