What I did:Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups BRM all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup fine corn four
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (and a bit) unsweetened applesauce (I meant to do one cup but accidentally did the whole jar which was definitely more than one cup but definitely less than two)
- 1/2 cup melted stick margarine
- 1 lb finely shredded carrots (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup stick margerine, softened to room temperature
- 500g powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. half and half
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat sugar, brown sugar and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
- Reduce speed to low, and slowly add the applesauce, oil, and melted butter. Mix on high for one minute, or until mixture is well mixed and light in color.
- Turn off mixer and stir in by hand the carrots and dry ingredients until no loose flour remains.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. (Mine took 45 minutes.)
- Let cake cool, in pan, on a wire rack.
- In a stand mixer beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes, or until soft, creamy and combined thoroughly.
- Add about 2/3 of the powdered sugar and beat until well mixed.
- Add the half and half, and pure vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired thickness and taste.
- Use a spatula or icing knife to spread frosting evenly over cooled cake. Slice into 12 large slices, or you can cut smaller slices if you prefer.
Notes on this batch:
- Original recipe Here
- I weighed the frozen bag of carrot shreds and it was almost exactly a pound.
- I whipped the icing way too much for way too long so it was very fluffy like whipped cream. I kinda like it but it made too much icing for that cake.