Stored: 10 x 500mL
What I did:
- Prepped Jars/Lids/Canner.
- 1kg White Pea Beans sorted. Brought to boil and turned off for an hour to quick soak.
- Made sauce base in the 4cup measuring cup
- 150 mL Tomato paste
- 100 mL Ketchup
- 1 Cup Onion, fine chopped
- 3 Tbsp Molasses
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp Malt Vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- Drained beans.
- Refilled pot with fresh water & brought to boil, simmering for 10 min before turning off.
- Drained bean water into a bowl leaving the beans in the colander. Measured 7 cups of bean water into the pot and stirred in the sauce base, then heated the sauce on the stove.
- Each jar got 3/4 full of beans and then sauce poured in for a 1" headspace. (de-bubbled and adjusted)
- The beans divided equally into 10 jars at the right level, the sauce just barely was enough for all 10.
- Wiped the rims with vinegar and placed the heated lids on gently.
- Pressure canned at 11lbs for 65 minutes.
- Depressurised slowly.
- Removed the jars and cranked lids and then waited.
- Next morning, rings removed. All sealed. :-)
Notes on this batch:
- Making the one variety of blended sauce was much easier than the two different sauces(of course)
- No siphoning or any seal problems.
- Liquid level seems a bit low. Might be a good idea to increase it for colour retention on next batch but we'll see how they go.
- 2023-03-25 noticed 6 jars unsealed. No mold or off smells but for safety they were discarded in compost. We heated and ate remaining 3 sealed jars.
Post a Comment
Moderated Comments so play nice.