Pie Crust Dough (double batch)
Made: 36 mini tarts plus the 7x7 square dish
References: ATK page #427
What I did:
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream(I used Balkan yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 13 ounces ATK All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend (page 7)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces and frozen for 10 to 15 minutes (I used stick margarine)
- Combine ice water, sour cream, and vinegar in bowl. Process flour blend, sugar, salt, and xanthan gum in food processor until combined, about 5 sec-onds. Scatter butter over top and pulse until crumbs look uniform and distinct pieces of butter are no longer visible, 20 to 30 pulses.
- Pour half of sour cream mixture over flour mixture and pulse to incorporate, about 3 pulses.Add remaining sour cream mixture and pulse until dough comes together in large pieces around blade, about 20 pulses.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Turn each piece of dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten each into 5-inch disk. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Before rolling out dough, let it sit on counter to soften slightly, about 30 minutes, before rolling. (Dough cannot be frozen.)
I refrigerated for a while, manhandled it into minis and square. Refrigerated overnight. Baked 350 for about 30 min but likely more until browned. Then filled with fillings.
Notes on this batch:
- The dough stunk of vinegar coming out of the oven but tasted great when we got around to eating it.
- Was still tender and tasty even though I basically just mashed bits of the dough all together and wasn't gentle with it at all.
- The dough did stick a bit to the square so maybe try greasing it?